Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Countdown to LOTD & Bewitched: RENT THESE MOVIES!

George A. Romero's Land of the Dead:

Of course, renting the original trilogy is obligatory. 1968's Night of the Living Dead, 1979's Dawn of the Dead and 1985's Day of the Dead should be essential viewing for any horror afficionado. Both Night and Dawn have remakes available. I haven't seen the remake of Night but I hear it's not all that great. Dawn was an action packed reimagining of the original film minus the satire. It's very much worth seeing however for the directorial style of Zack Snyder. There's a planned remake of Day, no surprise. Also, be sure to check out the new generation of zombie classics with 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead.



Bewitched:

I'd be an ass not to include Nicole Kidman's other bewitching film Practical Magic. The film was mostly scorned by critics and audiences when released in 1998, but it's a surprisingly enchanting tale of outcast sisters and their magical abilities. I prefer it to the more kooky The Witches of Eastwick. Magic may be a slight mess of the tones, but somehow it worked for me. For the hilarious Mr. Ferrell, don't miss Elf. Director Nora Ephron is most famously known for cowriting When Harry Met Sally and directing Sleepless In Seattle, but I prefer You've Got Mail. That film has grown on me and I watch it every time it's on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment