Sunday, March 27, 2005

TV Time!

I only watch a few current series. The rest of my TV time is syndication. Current "appointment tv" includes Alias, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, Saturday Night Live, Gilmore Girls and Will and Grace.

Anyways, in the past couple of days I've checked out two new series: The Office and Grey's Anatomy. I thought The Office was pretty funny and will continue to check it out. The majority of my friends are fans of the original British series and its star Ricky Gervais (a guest star on Alias last season.) I think it brilliantly captures the awkwardness of the workplace, something anyone can appreciate no matter what your workplace might be. A lot of the buzz regarding the show relates to star Steve Carell of The Daily Show. For my money, the series standout was the actress who plays the character Pam. She had that perfect dazed look of "what the fuck have I done with my life to deserve to work here?" The pilot episode that aired Thursday is supposed to be the weakest of the the batch of episodes that have been screened for the media. Many have stated the 2nd and 3rd episodes drift away heavily from the original series and the show becomes its own creation.

Grey's Anatomy was equally good. Think of it as E.R. minus the occasional over the top drama, then add the sweetness of Scrubs (subtract the wacky humor of that series, though.) Some of it was very cliched and predictable, mainly the story of the young doctor telling the family everything was going to be okay. My interest in this show began when I found out the interesting cast: Sandra Oh, Ellen Pompeo - an almost dead ringer for Renee Zellweger and even a s light hint of Meg Ryan, and Scream trilogy alumni Patrick Dempsay. Oh brought in her standard no bullshit character, the kind she plays wonderfully. Pompeo is the lead and is very sweet and relatable. The pilot saw the hectic first 48 hours in the lives of a group of a surgical interns at a Seattle (SEATTLE?!?! BONUS!) hospitol. The pacing of this show was a lot tighter than that of Desperate Housewives. To cap it all off, there were numerous musical montages, a standard of the hourlong and a personal favorite of mine. The final moment which brought in a slight twist for our perspective of the main character really tied everything together nicely.

For the first episodes of these series, I'll give them both B's. I'll continue to watch even if I remain slightly pessimistic about both's longevity. (Then again, I thought no one would watch Desperate Housewives.)

No comments:

Post a Comment